Launceston Tennis Club
- Mens A Team win league (posted 28th July '10)
- The Launceston Mens A team of Graham Worth, Kevin Worth, Jake Horton and James Brobin have won Div 1 East of the
Cornwall Mens Doubles League and earned promotion to the Premier League for next season. They won 11 of their 12 matches in the season,
only losing to Newquay C when missing 3 out of the 4 main players. Thanks should go to the other Launceston men who have played for the A
team when the regular players were unavailable, including Rod Wood, Tim Mitchell, Barry Frayn and Adam Paynter.
A team results & table.
- Barry Frayn wins Wimbledon Social Event (posted 4th July '10)
- 17 members braved the drizzle on Wimbledon Mens Final morning to play in a timed event ably run by Sarah Statton.
Each player played 5 12 minute Tie Breaks and there were Wimbledon related quiz questions between matches to earn bonus points.
Barry Frayn's knowledge and tennis skill earned him the title by an impressive 11 points from young Alex Cornish in second place.
All players then retired to the Eagle House Hotel for sandwiches and strawberries & cream to watch the Mens Singles Final on the big screen.
Full results & photo.
- Warrens Butchers win New Trophy (posted 1st April '10)
- Warrens Butchers A team were the winners of the new "Launceston Tennis Challenge" for local businesses.
Despite the cold weather 8 teams turned out every Wednesday evening in March to play for the title.
Full results & photo.
- Wimbledon Tickets 2010 (posted 1st April '10)
- The club have been allocated 6 pairs of tickets for this year's Wimbledon Championships.
Tamsin Worth is organising the ballot within the club, please contact her if you would like to apply for any.
The ballot will take place at the club on Sunday 25th April.
Full details on the tickets available.
- Finals Day 2009 (posted 28th September '09)
- The finals of 4 of the 6 club knockout tournaments were held on Sunday 27th September under blue skies.
Around 30 spectators came along to support the players and enjoy a cream tea made by Jenny Worth.
There was a shock in the men's singles as 14 year old Jake Horton ended the dominance of the Worth brothers by beating Graham in 2 close sets.
Sarah Statton claimed her 9th consecutive ladies singles title, defeating Hayley Frayn. Jake Horton completed the mens/boys double by beating David Forshaw.
Chris Stanbury overcame a fifty year age gap and and several injury niggles to defeat Luke Roberts in the Plate Final.
Finals Day Results and report.
- Wimbledon Tickets (posted 1st April '09)
- The club have been allocated 8 pairs of tickets for this year's Wimbledon Championships.
Tamsin Worth is organising the ballot within the club, please contact her if you would like to apply for any. The ballot will take place at the club on Thursday 30th April.
Full details on the tickets available.
- Launceston's Winter League campaign concludes. (posted 29th March '09)
- Launceston B completed their winter League season with an 8-4 victory away at St Austell on Sunday 29th March.
The B team finish in 5th position in the table, a good recovery after a poor start. The A team finished their season a fortnight earlier at Truro.
They took 4th position in their league. A team results & tables,
B team results & tables.
- Club Times Have Changed (posted 29th March '09)
- As of Tuesday 31st March the club is switching over to the usual Summer Club Times:
(*Only 1 court available Tuesday evenings 7pm-8pm).
- Tuesdays* & Thursdays 7-9pm
- Sundays 2.30pm - 4.30pm
- LTC Tennis Clothing (posted 27th March '09)
- Taz Worth is currently taking orders for clothing embroidered with the LTC logo.
The deadline for orders and payment is 6th April 2009. Follow link for
available items and order form.
- Junior Competitions (posted 17th March '09)
- James Brobin is running 2 junior competitions for us over the next couple of months. On Thursday 9th April it's the
Road to Wimbledon,
giving members aged 14 and under the chance to progress to county finals and from there to Wimbledon in August.
There is also the Launceston Matchplay Cup on 29th/30th/31st May, an LTA sanctioned event open to juniors from any club.
More details of this event will be added nearer the time.
- Match Practice Sessions (posted 17th March '09)
- Members interested in playing matches for Launceston teams in the summer league this year
should try to get along to the Match practice sessions on Monday nights form the end of March.
Match Practice - Times
- Ladder - Unlimited Challenges Allowed (posted - 17th March '09)
- To get the ladder moving it was agreed to allow players to challenge anybody above them in the ladder,
regardless of the number of places between the players. If the challenger is succesful then the 2 players simply swap positions.
Current Ladder Positions
- Finals Day 2008
- The weather was beautiful and there were some very close fought matches.
Finals Day Results
- Youngsters win 2008 Mixed Doubles (posted - 31st August '08)
- Congratulations to the junior pairing of Hayley Frayn and Rhys Stevenson who secured this years mixed doubles title after 4 hours of play!
Mixed Doubles Results
- Sarah & Sue win 2008 Ladies Doubles (posted - 17th August '08)
- Sarah Statton & Sue Mann pipped Hayley Frayn & Ali Parnell by a single game to clinch the 2008 Ladies Doubles tournament.
Ladies Doubles Results
- Graham Worth & Mike Wallington win 2008 Mens Doubles (posted - 13th August '08)
- Graham and Mike beat 4 other pairs on the day on their way to the 2008 Mens Doubles title.
Mens Doubles Results
- New Courts are ready (posted - 23rd June '08)
- The new tennis courts are now open. The mens A team were the first to sample them on Monday 23rd June.
All club sessions and matches will now be played on these courts. To see a map of the location
. To see photos of how the courts were constructed
- Hayley Frayn clinches American Doubles Title (posted - 28th April '08)
- Hayley overturned a substantial deficit after the first week to pip her father, Barry, to the title.
American Doubles - Final Scores
- American Doubles (posted - 14th April '08)
- The first round of the American Doubles Tournament took place on Sunday 13th April. Barry Frayn is the leader from Hilary Rhodes in 2nd place
going into the final round on Sunday 27th April at 2pm. All members are invited to play in the second round, however only those playing
both rounds are eligible to win the overall competition. The best average score over the two weeks will decide the competition.
American Doubles - Scores
- New Courts - Construction Progress in Photos (posted - 14th April '08)
- Construction of the new Launceston Community Tennis Courts began on 17th March, you can follow the progress of the
construction here -
New Courts Photos
- Mens Doubles
- 5 pairs turned out for the Mens Doubles on Sunday 9th September. All pairs played each other in a Round Robin format.
Barry Frayn and Andy Hamilton won all their matches and claimed the title. Rod Wood and Jon Vague were just 1 game behind in 2nd place.
Mens Doubles Results.
- Finals Day Report
- Our 2007 Finals Day was held on Sunday 2nd September. Luckily it stayed dry although a bit chilly and all 6 matches were completed.
A good crowd of about 30 people turned out to watch and Jenny kindly plied them with Cream Teas. The winners on the day were:
Kevin Worth (Mens Singles), Sarah Statton (Ladies Singles), Dan O'Donovan (Boys Singles), Hayley Frayn (Girls Singles), David Forshaw
(Mens Plate) and Helen Davies (Ladies Plate). A special mention has to go to Dan O'Donovan who ended up playing 8 sets during the day,
over 6 hours of tennis in total!
All the results and reports are available here:
Finals Day results and photos
- Mens B Team promoted to Division 2
- The Launceston Mens' B Team rounded off an excellent season on Saturday 4th August with a thumping 10-0 away
win over promotion rivals Newquay D. This season has made up for last year when a poor end to the campaign saw Looe pip the B team for promotion.
B Team results & table.
The A team have just team secured their Division 1 status with victory over Bodmin B. This means that Launceston Men will now have a team in each of
divisions 1,2 & 3 next year.A Team results & table.
- American Doubles Results
- In total 27 people played over the 2 weeks of the American Doubles competition, which concluded on Sunday 29th April.
Tim Mitchell narrowly beat Barry Frayn to the title, with Steve Logg coming 3rd.
Full American Doubles results.
- Team Fixtures
- Fixtures for all our summer league teams are now available.
Fixtures / results / tables.
- Match Practice - Mondays at 6pm in April
- Match practice starts on Monday 2nd April at 6pm and will continue each Monday night throughout April.
All players wanting to play in any of our summer league teams are welcome to come along.
- AGM, Presentation Evening Reports
- Brenda has written reports of these two recent club events.
- Coaching Sessions with James Brobin
- James Brobin runs a range of coaching sessions throughout the year at the Phoenix Leisure Centre in Launceston.
Tuesday evening sessions are particularly popular with LTC members.The next round of 8 sessions commences on Tuesday 23rd January.
Full Coaching Details.
- Jenny scoops BBC Award
- Jenny Worth has been recognised by the BBC for her efforts in 3 Launceston Sports Clubs.
Jenny Worth - Unsung Hero.
- Winter League Fixtures
- The fixtures for both our Winter League teams are now up on the site.
- New Arrivals (posted - 19th Sep '06)
- Congratulations to Rod and Val Wood on the birth of their son on Saturday 16th September. A name has yet to be chosen.
The club's other new arrival has now been named - Kevin and Taz's 2 week old son is called Finlay Jacob Worth.
- Finals Day - Report (posted - 18th Sep '06)
- The weather held and about 25 spectators watched the 6 matches played,
enjoying their Cream Teas (made by Jen), £38.60 was raised for club funds.
In the Mens Singles, Graham Worth resisted a strong second set fightback from brother Kevin to secure his seventh title.
Sarah Statton was made to work hard by Ruth Cornish before taking the Ladies Singles. Rory Carr had a very fruitful day,
winning both the Boys Singles (vs. Adam Baker) and Mens Plate (vs. Peter McAughey).
Hilary Rhodes shattered Brenda Hooton's dreams
of victory the Ladies Plate in 2 very close sets. Hayley Frayn beat Emma Baker to win the Girls Singles.
Finals Day Results.
- Double Cup Success for Launceston (posted - 18th Sep '06)
- Congratulations to Launceston Ladies A (Ruth Cornish and Jenny Worth) who won the Morton-Nance Cup (Div 2) in Newquay on Sunday 17th September.
The Mens B team (Chris Stanbury, Tim Mitchell and Peter McAughey) then made it a double 20 minutes later by winning the Holman Cup (Div 2) at the same venue.
- Mixed Doubles Results (posted - 4th Sep '06)
- Tim Mitchell and Katy Paynter won the 2006 Mixed Doubles, holding off a strong comeback
in the final to beat Rod Wood and Hilary Rhodes 6-4. It was an extremely windy day
which made for some "interesting" tennis for the 9 pairs competing.
- Juniors' Results - Primary School age (posted - 4th Sep '06)
- Congratulations to Poppy and Tilly Yeo who were joint winners of the Girls competition, Bronte Frayn was runner-up.
Alan Wood won the Boys event with Henry Cornish runner-up.
- Mens Doubles Results (posted - 21st Aug '06)
- Well done to Jon Vague and Graham Worth, winners of the 2006 Mens Doubles Tournament.
They avenged a group stage loss against Kevin Worth and Adam Baker with a thumping 6-0 victory in the final.
The turnout was better than last year but still slightly disappointing with 5 pairs competing.
Luckily the weather, despite threatening, stayed dry.
- Ladies Doubles Results (posted - 14th Aug '06)
- Congratulations to Sarah Statton and Annette Carr, winners of the 2006 Ladies Doubles Tournament.
They eventually won a close (and at times raucous!) final against Brenda Hooton and Katy Paynter.
The turnout for this year's event was much improved on last year with 6 pairs taking part.
Jen did an excellent job of "fixing" the draw of playing partners, resulting in almost every match being close.
- Ladies A Team Promoted
- Congratulations to Launceston Ladies A Team who have lead their league from start to finish.
Promotion was secured with an emphatic 10-0 victory over Bodmin B on Friday 11th August.
Table and Results.
- Singles Draws
- The draws have now been made for the Mens Singles
- Doubles Tournaments and "Finals Day"
- Dates have now been set for the Finals Day (when all of the singles finals are played) and the Mens, Ladies and Mixed Doubles tournaments.
- Latest Results and Tables
- Up to date league tables are now available for all our teams.
Fixtures / results / tables.
- Goodbye Steve
- Steve Emery-Wright played his last game of tennis in Launceston at the club on Sunday 11th June.
Good luck in Singapore Steve.
- American Doubles Results
- Congratulations to Rory Carr, who finished 1st in the American Doubles tournament, which concluded on Sunday 23rd April.
He pipped Kevin Worth by a mere 0.05 points to win.